Salman Abdul Baset wrote:
> I just watched the presentation and it is really cool. Couple of questions:
>
> (1) Does media relaying work for voice communication?
> (2) What about TCP connectivity for signaling and media? Can peers
> automatically negotiate the transport protocol? Will UDP remain default?
> (3) What about integration with cellular/other VoIP?
> (4) What are the designers views on the work in P2PSIP WG?
> (5) Can the designers compare RTMFP with Octoshape's solutions?
>
> and most importantly:
> (6) Is the service ready to replace Skype?

RTMFP Groups is meant for the one-to-many and many-to-many cases,
whereas the baseline RTMFP added in Flash Player 10.0 is for the
one-to-one and one-to-few cases.

So, to answer your questions:

1) If you are doing RTMFP Groups, then yes, application-level multicast
relays voice, video, and data.

2) TCP isn't supported, because it doesn't make any sense to run RTMFP
over TCP. RTMP exists and works over TCP, but only for the client-server
cases.

3) Flash Player 10.0 and later can play Nelly-Moser, Speex, MP3, and AAC
and can encode Nelly-Moser and Speex. Transcoding to/from Speex isn't
difficult.

4) No official comment. I follow the P2PSIP work, and I used to comment
more back when I had time to actually be on the list, so you can read
some of those older comments for my views. Generally I personally
believe that (while it does have the drawback of being proprietary at
this time) RTMFP is a superior transport to trying to do signalling over
SIP+SDP and media over RTP, and I believe reuse of the cost of session
setup is better than the flexibility one might have by completely
separating signaling from media. A quick demo of a maximum rate file
transfer between a pair of peers along with higher-priority voice
traffic helps explain why I think that RTMFP is a better media transport
protocol, especially since you also get encryption and IP address
mobility with no added complexity.

5) No comment. Because Adobe did a trial deployment with Octoshape, I
was not allowed to look at their work at all and so haven't even seen it
in use.

6) Most of what Skype does can be implemented using the pre-Groups
RTMFP. The peer-to-peer directory service could be re-implemented using
RTMFP Groups. Some of what Skype does, Flash Player won't do mostly for
business/security reasons... while Skype was able to have a EULA that
lets your computer open up TCP server ports and relay media, you'd never
let Flash Player generally have that capability, so Flash Player is
definitely more limited in how aggressively it can try to make
peer-to-peer work... though client-server fallback is at least as good
if not better in Flash Player.

Matthew Kaufman