Hi,

multicast to the end-user and multicast in the backbone of a single ISP
(for IPTV for instance) is much different.
The real problem with multicast is to open it to the end-users and to
manage cross ISP flows.
Without solving those issues, multicast will never replace P2P.

There is a nice paper that describes what are the issues with multicast,
it is ten years old, but still relevant:
Deployment issues for the IP multicast service and architecture
C Diot, BN Levine, B Lyles, H Kassem, D Balensiefen - IEEE Network, 2000

Arnaud.

On 24/02/2010 15:56, Marc Manthey wrote:
> hello sorry when i raise this up again,
>

> true its really amazing that such a simple thing like chatroulette get
> so much attention
> but i am sure some of use would not believe that twitter were such a
> hype
> with about 35 million tweets per day now  , but back to peer 2 peer
> and flash.
>
> When we look at the ipv4 exhaustion counter we see that we are in a
> middle
> of a transition from ipv4 to ipv6, so IF ipv6 would enable multicast
> by default
> would we have a  comparable solution for realtime streaming
> transportation ?
>
> I would like to ask any experts if you think that multicast is a real
> peer 2 peer competitor
> and could decrease streaming traffic in the near ipv6 future.
>
> Thanks
>

> Marc
>

> --
> Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
> Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
> 50823 Köln - Germany
> Tel.:0049-221-29891489
> Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
> project : http://opencu.org
> blog: http://macbroadcast.org
> twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast/
> facebook : http://opencu.tk
>

> Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
> certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).
>
> Please note that according to the German law on data retention,
> information on every electronic information exchange with me is
> retained for a period of six months.

Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Planète  Phone : 00.33.4.92.38.78.15
2004 route des lucioles - BP 93   Fax   : 00.33.4.92.38.79.78
06902 Sophia Antipolis CEDEX      E-mail: arnaud.leg...@inria.fr
FRANCE                            Web   :
http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Arnaud.Legout/index.html