2011/1/18 Michael Blizek <mic...@michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com>

> Hi!
>
> On 16:35 Tue 18 Jan     , Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> > Pagekite is a very pragmatic attempt to enable more p2p-like behavior on
> the
> > WWW by making it really easy for people to run publicly visible HTTP (or
> > HTTPS) servers from personal and/or mobile devices. The system is not
> true

[snip]

> This sounds very interesting. I guess that you can do something similar
> with
> some of the VPN services out there, but creating a native protocol for HTTP
> might be way more efficient. It would be possible to run lots of web sites
> with a single frontend and a single IP. It should also be possible to
> reduce
> the traffic between the frontend and the backend by doing some caching and
> compression.

Yes, exactly - Pagekite actually already does compression of the tunnels,
and adding a caching layer for the unencrypted traffic at the front-ends is
somewhere on the TODO list...

VPNs are far more powerful of course, but as you mention, making efficient
use of the IP address space is becoming more important all the time. The
other advantage to the Pagekite approach (IMO) is that once the protocol is
reasonably stable and accepted, it should be simple enough to embed directly
into end-user software products (free or commercial). So launching a new
web-site could be packaged to the point that it's just a 'register name,
download, double-click' affair.

What is particularly interesting is that running web sites can easily be
> done
> anonymously. However, this will put some strains on the front end
> operaters.
> But then the connection between the end user and the front end should
> really
> be encrypted.

Pagekite supports HTTPS, but it can only do it reliably for modern browsers
which implement the SNI extension to TLS. This does not include most Windows
XP users (Chrome is the only browser that works there AFAIK), so it'll be a
few years before that is a seamless experience. However, if you are setting
up a private site and want e2e encryption, asking your users to upgrade to
Chrome may not be a huge burden. So this is possible today, with caveats.

The anonymity thing... well, front-end providers will have bandwidth costs
so finding one that lets you anonymously connect for free may prove
difficult, and once you pay, you usually aren't truly anonymous anymore due
to the paper trail. But finding a provider that respects and protects your
privacy to the extent allowed by law might not be too hard.

But the Pagekite architecture does mean your actual IP address is always
hidden from everyone but the front-end provider, which may be enough
anonymity for many.

Embedded linux based NAS systems have IMHO still a lot of potential. I would
> really like to see them transform into "home servers" which can take back
> control from the "cloud" to the end users. I think that your piece could be
> quite important.

I agree, and I would love for pagekite to make its way into those things...
:-)

> > Thoughts?
>
> Very nice...

Thanks!