Welcome to the list, Michael.

> Basically, what I have in mind is a peer-to-peer, wide-area persistant
> file storage system for a backup use-case.

This is *very* interesting area from a technology perspective,
but pragmatically speaking it has virtually no demand. When it
comes to backing up few TBs of data the simplest solution is
to buy and use an USB drive. If a physical security of the USB
drive is an issue - get NAS box and WiFi router and stash them
in the socks drawer :)

In other words, the first question is if you could elaborate
why you think the system like one you sketched out is needed
(which in turn leads to what you exactly mean by 'untrusted').

I am all for discussing finer technical points, just want to
understand a larger picture first.

Alex