Hello,

Michael Militzer <mich...@xvid.org> writes:

> Basically, what I have in mind is a peer-to-peer, wide-area persistant
> file storage system for a backup use-case. That may not sound very
> exciting because several other software promising the same already
> exists. However, when taking a closer look it seems to me all existing
> solutions have serious shortcomings in one or the other area.

I don’t think Tahoe-LAFS is at odds with this.  It’s not designed for
world-wide storage grids, I think, but it makes few assumptions on trust
relationships.

FWIW I studied cooperative backup in the past [0].  Software-wise,
what’s left is libchop [1], which is just one piece of what would be
needed to implement a cooperative backup system.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] See <http://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00196822/en/> (the main
    text is in English.)