That's correct, David, LittleShoot does progressive download with an
extra copy to the browser but doesn't get into live streaming at all.
The progressive download is implemented for BitTorrent, Gnutella, and
LittleShoot downloads.

I think Octoshape and even the p2p layer in Flash (with some work on
top) are the furthest along, with Bram Cohen's latest forays certainly
in the mix!

-Adam

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM, David Barrett <dbarr...@quinthar.com> wrote:
> Is p2p video stream doing quite well?
>
> I remember there were a few options back in the day (PPLive?, Octoshape?
>  I can't remember the names).  And I know that Akamai is quietly doing
> a *lot* of P2P video streaming.  And I keep hearing rumors of
> progressive download/playback Torrent clients (I know we did this at
> Swoosh with rather disappointing results).
>
> Adam - I don't think Littleshoot does live streaming, but does it do
> progressive download and playback of audio/video?
>
> So the technology is definitely available and has been for some time.
> But I sorta agree with Abhishek that it hasn't really taken off.  Like,
> even the torrent apps that do support it only do so as a rather hidden
> or experimental feature.  Why hasn't it become the default mode?
>
> -david
>
> On 02/19/2011 07:43 AM, Henry Sinnreich wrote:
>> Naively speaking, P2P video seems to be doing quite well.
>> Maybe the problem is with the p2p forums?
>>
>> Henry
>>

>> On 2/19/11 12:52 AM, "abhishek desai"<abh...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> When I go through the many of p2p streaming software forums I find
>>> very little activity happening. A number of p2p streaming softwares
>>> are dead, many dont have a website anymore. Is the p2p video streaming
>>> technology dying ? Any reason why this has happened ? What is the
>>> future of P2P video streaming technologies ?
>>>
>>> rgds,
>>> abhi

Adam Fisk
http://www.littleshoot.org | http://adamfisk.wordpress.com |