I haven't followed it in years, but P2P-SIP is the IETF working group
over those standards.  I was reasonably active for a few years.  My
take is they were obsessed with discussing and planning for
theoretical edge cases without any regard to the mainstream cases that
matter in reality.  So far as I know, they never produced anything
remotely useful or valuable -- the closes they came were a few
insanely overengineered research projects that couldn't interoperate
and that nobody used outside the lab.  But it's been a couple years so
it might be worth checking up on them.

-david