Chapter 7, "The Memorability and Security of Passwords" in O'Reilly's
Security and Usability: Designing Secure Systems that People Can Use
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596008279/sr=8-1/qid=1143475157/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1120557-9567045?%5Fencoding=UTF8)
might be of interest to you.

The overarching theme of the book is that theoretically secure systems
with usability problems end up being neither secure (because users
subvert them) nor usable.  Some findings from Chap 7 include the fact
that a significant number of users did not comply with instructions
for password generation: "Theoretical analysis does not guarantee the
security of systems.  It is often necessary to study systems as they
are used in practice," and "Rigorous experimental testing of interface
usability is one of the necessary ingredients for robust secure
systems."

The authors suggest mnemonic-based passwords (generated from
passphrases) as one alternative that was both usable and which had
nearly as much resistance to brute-force crackers as did completely
random passwords.

Chapter 6 also provides some interesting criteria for evaluating
authentication mechanisms.

Cheers,
Alen

(disclaimer: although I contributed to one of the chapters in the
book, I don't get a dime from sales.  I think it is full of great
insight, though, as do the customer reviews at Amazon)