Greetings all;

I am building a test rig for our p2p application and am trying to simulate conditions on the public Internet, specifically latency and packet loss. As such I need to create distribution graphs for both these quantities between two arbitrary points of the network. Has anyone done any work in this area, or have any pointers?

Apologies if this has been asked before. My Googling (hmm, do initial caps stay after verbage?) led only to highly complex analyses for the purposes of better TCP algorithms. While this is no doubt worthy work, it is far too in-depth for my requirements. I only need roughly correct distributions so that I can be confident that successful network operation in the test rig is likely to mean successful operation on the Public Net (at least regarding packet loss and latency...)

Some playing around with Excel, with no more exact criteria than 'that looks about right' produced the following formulae:

Packet Loss (probability than on a given connection between two arbitrary nodes, a particular packet will get lost) P = (1.2^n)/800000000 for n = [1, ..., 100], n chosen randomly once for each connection
When n=0, P=0; n=50, P=0; n=100, P=0.1

Latency (delay in packet reception on a given connection between two arbitrary nodes) L = (1.04^n')*20 ms for n' = [1, ..., 100], n' chosen randomly once for each connection
When n'=0,L=21; n'=50, L=142; n'=100, L=1010

Does this sound believable? Of course this assumes constant latency and packet loss for the life of the connection, which is a gross over- simplification, but I don't have any feel for what would be 'about right' for variance over time for the above figures. Additionally n and n' are chosen independently; it seems likely they'd be correlated to an extent, but to what extent I don't know. My plan is to build data collection into our app so that I can create a more accurate test rig for 1.1.

Any feedback, comments, flames etc welcomed, on-list or off

Cheers

Will