Regarding the ICMP tunneling discussion, ICMP covert channels have been
used by security researchers and attackers for at least 10 years.
Here's one of the first public reference implementations:
 http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=49&a=6
and the actual source code is here
 http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=51&a=6

As for the brain-damaged decision to cripple raw socket functionality in
Windows XP SP2, the easiest way to circumvent it is to use a device
driver and talk directly to it. The most popular option is winpcap
(http://www.winpcap.org/) which requires installing a kernel driver
(administrator) and a reboot but it is quite stable and mature code used
by a large number of popular networking and security tools. Winpcap is
usually used to capture packets off the wire but the functionality to
inject arbitrary packets is also available using the pcap_sendpacket()
function.

-ivan
David Barrett wrote:
> That'd work as well, but what's the latest on raw socket support in XP SP2?
> I seem to recall you need to install a device driver (which requires admin
> privileges and a reboot).  Is there any way to do raw sockets on XP SP2 with
> less hassle?
>
> -david

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" -HST

Ivan Arce
CTO

CORE SECURITY TECHNOLOGIES
http://www.coresecurity.com

PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A