On Saturday 23 March 2002 03:43 am, Bas A.Schulte wrote:
> The highlights in this respect are primarily "StudlyCase" and the use of
> "getXXX/setXXX" on attributes:

I find it hard to believe that use of StudlyCase and get/set would have such
a big effect.  I think it's more the use of sane coding constructs in your
code that will be the deciding factor.  I agree that the "line-noise" you
refer to and which plagues even some of the best perl source code is the
result of either programmers proud of their obfuscatory skills, or of their
ability to twist around perl syntax for performance's sake (as in the
Schwartzian transform).

Any manager who would make the simple use of StudlyCase and get/set a
prerequisite for acceptance doesn't have enough managerial skills to make me
care whether he uses Perl or not.  He'll just switch to C# later on, anyway,
when he inevitably gets borg'ed by Microsoft.  A good manager will be more
interested in consistent coding style and design.

Well written perl looks enough like Java to make this a moot point anyway, in
my opinion.  And this is, of course, just my opinion...

jpt