Stephen Adkins writes:
> There are going to be an increasing number of cases where
> the P5EE needs a core server, separate from the web server.
> (Similar in some respects to how an EJB server is separate
> from the web server in which Servlets run.)

I think the reliability/flexibility/security of Apache/mod_perl is
hard to beat.  We initially had separate servers in bOP, and we
through them out in favor of using Apache for all RPC.  We marshall
requests to mulitpart/form-data, so we get maximum reuse.  However,
you might consider SOAP if you want more complexity.

Remember that adding a new component type, adds complexity.  The users
need to learn how to configure it.  They also need to design new to
understand the difference between the "old way" and the "new way" when
implementing components.  The server itself is a management problem
(start up order and other process management issues).

Rob