On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Stephen Adkins wrote:

The GPL affects code that is "linked" to it and then redistributed.
The issue of "linking" is a gray area.  I believe Larry Wall has
expressed that the scripting nature of the perl language means that
it is not a linked language, and the GPL on one module does not
therefore transfer to applications that use it.

I've asked the FSF about just this, and their opinion is that the way in which a library is loaded (linked at compile time or loaded at runtime) is not relevant.

So a GPL-only Perl module would make any app that uses it GPL.

But note that the standard Perl license is not GPL-only, it is GPL|Artistic.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.