At 06:18 PM 1/7/2002 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 09:13:23PM +0800, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
>> Yes, but what does this have to do with 5.6.1? Are you saying you can't
>> write thread-safe code that is also backwards compatible with 5.5?
>
>of course not. but if we need threads anyway (do we?) or in most of the
>cases, does there need to be support for 5.5 ?

Hi,

I personally do not plan to rely on threads or thread-safety whatsoever.
Building Enterprise Software does not depend on it.
And the portability issues of multi-threading are numerous.

My experience with threads is that the performance overhead of using
general-purpose thread-safe libraries (RogueWave in C++) with all of their
internal locking is so great that it is rarely overcome by the supposed
performance benefits of threading.

I am designing P5EEx::Blue to operate in a multi-process/IPC environment.

I will keep multi-threading in mind in the design, mainly to support
multi-threaded mod_perl 2.0 on the Windows platform.

Stephen