Chris Winters writes:
> Relegating a whole section of the development community -- many of whom
> are really smart and actually know what they're doing in the Real World
> -- with something like this seems needlessly inflammatory to me.

I don't understand this statement in relation to this one:

> That said, most of the time I think the pain that comes with EJB
> development is not worth the benefits you get. Of course, Sun and the
> J2EE lobby won't mention this...

It seems you are saying: There are a lot of smart people doing EJBs,
but I think they are wasting their time.  Is this a misreading on my
part?

> People who use them for web-only
> applications of a standard size are making their lives needlessly
> complicated. (But this is also true of most database systems -- how many
> apps *really* need Oracle?)

Depends on what you mean by "need".  If you need row-level locking or
a standby database, it's Oracle or DB2 afaik.

> > Apache/mod_perl/DBI/Oracle is incredibly hard to beat by any measure.
>
> Umm.. so you'll be locked into writing all your code in Perl?

You can write it in whatever you like, because 1) Oracle is managing
the txns and 2) Apache is multilingual.

> think writing all such code in Perl would actually be a good thing,
> bringing up the "it's only Java" argument is a straw man, particularly
> since CORBA is standard in J2EE application servers.

If you are writing EJBs, they aren't defined in IDL so you can't talk
to them via CORBA.  You can write and adapter, but you can write a
SOAP adapter.

Rob