On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:45:03AM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > Do you think Class::DBI currently gets it wrong? For the most part it's
> > database agnostic. I'm only adding this facility as there are now a few
> > subclasses which provide certain database specific functionality ...
> Probably not, but then it doesn't provide access to certain lower-level DB
> stuff like date formats, or optimisation. But then I haven't used
> Class::DBI, so I couldn't say for certain. Does it, for example, support
> outer joins?

Depends on what you mean by 'support' :)

Class::DBI doesn't try to do very much for you. It basically provides
a very simple abstraction layer of the "table -> class, row -> object,
column -> method" variety. And then it lets you create, retrieve,
search etc.

It supports simple relationships, and lets you write the others yourself.

As you can write any SQL as (inheritable) class data, it will technically
'support' any construct you want.

It doesn't really try to do much more than this - aiming for a 90%
solution (that said, I find I only need to write SQL these days for
speed optimisations, and I don't need to even do that very much).

Tony
 Tony Bowden | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.tmtm.com/
             we barely have time to react in this world let alone rehearse