On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 18:09, Stephen Adkins wrote:
> However, before we call for a final vote to promote P5EEx::Blue
> to the P5EE name space, I seek one further round of input.
>
>  * Why shouldn't the following be used as the starting code
>    base for P5EE?
>
>    = Open Interact (Chris Winters)
>      http://www.openinteract.org/

I can give a number of reasons why OI should not be used:

1) I'm working on the next version (2.0), which isn't a total rewrite
but shuffles around some fundamental concepts. (More info if you want.)
This initial release is probably 3 months away.

2) As Gunther mentioned, OI is a web application server. It can be used
in other ways (web services, etc.) but web apps are its main focus.

3) OI is tied fairly closely with the Template-Toolkit. It can be used
with other template engines, but a lot of functionality will be missing.
(However, as a recent discussion [1] on the mod_perl list showed many
people have no problem with template engines having limited
functionality.)

4) Also as Gunther mentioned, I, as opposed to a company, am the primary
source of code and support for OI. There are companies that use the code
extensively and serve as great test beds for large-scale
implementations, but they don't contribute much to the framework itself.

I also work in OpenInteract and SPOPS in my spare time since my day job
is about 95% Java and 5% Perl. This is also why I haven't been very
active on this list. (Curse of the married open-source programmer... :-)

Chris

[1] http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/jilgygland
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/libservlet/

--
Chris Winters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.