From: Lars Marowsky-Bree [mailto:l...@suse.com]
Sent: 07 Mart 2013 Perşembe 16:40
To: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager
Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] Pacemaker cluster with different operating systems

On 2013-03-07T09:22:27, Osman Findik <osman.fin...@telenity.com> wrote:

> Hi Lars,
> We think that the third node will be in standby, so only corosync and
> pacemaker processes will execute and no resource will be executed on this
> node by the cluster.

That is true, but it will still participate in the corosync protocol (meaning
an instability of the quorum node could translate to instability of your
cluster); and if you really run pacemaker there, you'll have to keep it updated
as well so that it doesn't become the eternal DC.

A third node makes perfect sense if you need a third node in your cluster for
redundancy and load reasons. It's not good to add one at this layer if all you
need is better quorum.

> For other approaches, I only know boothd. And what I know is it is suitable
> for geo-redundancy purposes. I will look for fence_sanlock.

boothd can also be used as a 1:1 fail-over scenario. Admittedly, it's overkill
and makes the configuration more complex. I'd probably go with external/sbd,
but then, I wrote that ;-)

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
21284 (AG Nürnberg) "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org