Re-sending to keep this in the public archives. Please keep replies on the list, it benefits everyone that way.

On 19/12/13 01:17 AM, Nikita Staroverov wrote:

Some months ago i wrote about manual fence confirmation by stonith_admin
-C. Andrew fixed this, but it works only for pacemaker+corosync.
CMAN-based configuration won't do manual fencing this way.
I tried stonith_admin -C , pacemaker made node  clean offline, but
didn't notify CMAN about this. CMAN's fenced was tried fence_pcmk
indefinitly.
fence_ack_manual works as expected.
I think pacemaker must notify CMAN about manual fence confirmations.
Tested configuration: CentOS 6.5, pacemaker 1.1.10 from centos repos.

That's how cman's fencing is designed. It does not support manual
fencing at all, and for good reason, I would argue. Is there a reason
you aren't using real fencing?

1. CMAN supports manual fencing. man fence_ack_manual, please.

Please see:

https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/36302

If you don't have an account, the relevant part is:

"Usage of fence_manual is not supported in any production cluster. You may use this fence agent for development or debugging purposes only."

2. Pacemaker notifies CMAN about  real fencing, why not about manual
confirmations? It's bug, i'm sure.

Perhaps, I can't speak to pacemaker's behaviour.

3. I use real fencing. Manual fencing needed in rare situations, like
problem with IPMI controller, lost power or so. What should
administrator do without manual confirmations? :)

Fencing should loop until it succeeds. Fix the problem, fence_ack_manual if that's not possible or, ideally, use multiple fence methods (I use IPMI on one switch and switched PDUs on another switch for redundancy).

--
Digimer
What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without access to education?