On 20 Jun 2014, at 2:14 pm, Patrick Hemmer <pacema...@feystorm.net> wrote:

> After the demise of the old heartbeat service, and the switch to corosync as
> the primary (sole) method of communication between nodes,

heartbeat is still supported as a messaging/membership layer

> has there ever been any consideration into using services such as etcd,
> consul, zookeeper, or doozerd?

I think most of these didn't exist at the time.
Do any provide membership too?  What about message ordering?

> These alternative communication engines offer some stuff that corosync
> doesn't. One such item etcd & consul offer is dynamic cluster scaling
> capabilities (nodes can very easily join and leave the cluster). When working
> in cloud computing, this feature becomes very important. Pcs is somewhat
> helpful in this regard but it's still nowhere near as capable (plus corosync
> doesn't have downscaling finished).
> However one critical difference between these services and corosync is that
> they are mainly key/value stores, and don't have something like Corosync's
> CPG.

Yes, a rather critical difference.

> Though you could probably implement something looking like CPG using a
> keyvalue store,

I rather doubt it.  k/v stores and CPG are not very alike from where I'm
sitting.

> I think pacemaker might be able to use a key/value store natively.
>
> So, has this ever been considered? How heavily tied is pacemaker to the
> corosync API? Could that be abstracted out enough to where different
> communication engines could be implemented?

It's already abstracted to the point where it supports 4 different
messaging/membership options:
- heartbeat
- corosync/pacemaker plugin
- cman