The ami built when running amazon-chroot "from_scratch" is a completely new
AMI based on a empty EBS volume.

This picture for one of my presentation might shed some light over how it
works
https://github.com/rickard-von-essen/packer-talk/blob/master/aws-ug-1/presentation/images/08-9_Chroot.jpg

You can watch the presentation at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXd5ingQ3SE
~ 20 mins in, I'll go through how the chroot builder works (the sound is
really bad)

The presentation also contains a example of building Arch Linux from
scratch:
https://github.com/rickard-von-essen/packer-talk/tree/master/aws-ug-1/examples#arch-linux---chroot-arch-linux-from-scratchjson
(This was not presented in the youtube vide above since I was running out
of time)

On 16 December 2016 at 12:25, <nanda...@hifx.co.in> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Rickard von Essen,
>
> I am bit confused about AMI Builder chroot build from scratch . I am
> running the build from scratch json inside ec2 instance , need to know
> whether he new ami created is  the ami of  ec2 instance in which I am
> running the json or its a new ami.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 12:39:56 PM UTC+5:30, nand...@hifx.co.in
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> New to packer , need to know whether there is an option to build ami of
>> running aws ec2 instance?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> ------------------------------
> IMPORTANT: This is an e-mail from HiFX IT Media Services Pvt. Ltd. Its
> content are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the
> intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error
> and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
> e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone
> other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If
> received in error, please email a reply to the sender, then delete it from
> your system.
>
> Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, HiFX cannot ultimately
> accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan
> attachments (if any).
>
> ​
> Before you print this email or attachments, please consider the negative
> environmental impacts associated with printing.
>
> --
> list.
>
> GitHub Issues: https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues
> IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
> ---
> "Packer" group.
> email to packer-tool+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> msgid/packer-tool/2440025b-f754-41fd-b5fa-ada1fcb01557%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/2440025b-f754-41fd-b5fa-ada1fcb01557%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

"Packer" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt8%3DNgkogsRZdpNd%2BA-hBD5pvOzM9CRmAiVGrSbDCkC4vg%40mail.gmail.com.