In a nutshell, the Packer vsphere-template post processor is clearing the
UUID while the Terraform vsphere provider expects it to be populated.

I am researching the possibility of using Packer in conjunction with
Terraform to automate infrastructure build-out on VMware ESXi 6.5.
Everything was working as expected until the Terraform vsphere provider
went 1.0.  When this happened, the provider changed the way it was looking
up templates within vsphere.  Initially it does a lookup by name, then all
subsequent lookups are done by the UUID returned from the first lookup.
This is where the template that I created with Packer comes into the
picture.  When the vsphere-template post processor is used to unregister,
register, and mark the VM image created as a template it clears out the
UUID.  Because of this, I cannot use a Packer-created vsphere template with
Terraform.  As a test, I decided to forego the vsphere-template post
processor so I could go into the vsphere web client and convert the VM to a
template from there.  When I did, the UUID of the VM was retained and
Terraform was able to use the template as expected.  I am doing a little
digging into both the Packer and vmware projects on Github to see if I can
find out what commands are being used to perform these operations but this
is still a work in progress.  In the meantime, I thought I would float my
situation by this group to see if anyone else is familiar with this issue.

"Packer" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/b956d25c-8c75-48e0-89b3-a046800c0522%40googlegroups.com.