Well.. I have done a bit of hacking around on the custom.pm file and,
relying on the code for the EAP re-authentication using the user
credentials, I have managed to get the user's nodes to inherit the Person's
role (via rules). Its a good start.

I feel though that eventually this could be added to the native code, since
in my case the code is almost identical to what is used for the "802.1x
re-authentication"  path, except I rely on the PID instead of the 802.1x
credentials. I think it should be possible to merge both options if people
see value in this.

I will post my file on my private repo if anyone wants to take a look.