From: Ludovic Marcotte [lmarco...@inverse.ca]
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:13 PM
To: packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [PacketFence-users] PFDNS crashing every few seconds HELP!

Search the archives this has been answered before. It is a bug in a perl module
on which packetfence depends.

"Sallee, Stephen (Jake)" <jake.sal...@umhb.edu> wrote:

Ludovic!

I am so glad to hear from you!  Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am getting the dependency issue when I include perl-Net-DNS in my yum update.

--------<snip>----------
Error: Package: packetfence-4.0.5-2.el6.noarch (@PacketFence)
Requires: perl(Net::DNS) = 0.65-4
Removing: perl-Net-DNS-0.65-4.el6.x86_64 (@base)
perl(Net::DNS) = 0.65
Updated By: perl-Net-DNS-0.66-1.of.el6.x86_64 (of)
perl(Net::DNS) = 0.66
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
--------</snip>---------

So I'm looking into that.  However I found something interesting.  One of my
registration clients is sending a strange DNS query and every time pfdns sees
it, it crashes.

The query is exactly:

ng="utf-8".umhb.edu<http://umhb.edu>

I blocked that IP from send
 ing
queries to PF and the service hasn't crashed since.

I have tried to send this query to my test server to see if I can replicate the
behavior but I need to edit the pcap to make it go to the test server.

I can send you a link to DL the pcap if you are interested in looking at it.

Also, any idea on the dependency issue is most welcome too : )

Thank you again.

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
System Engineer