I struggeled with unstable pfdns myself turned out ntp was not working. Im
running centos 6.4 and packetfence 4.0.5-2

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Sallee, Stephen (Jake) [mailto:jake.sal...@umhb.edu]
Sendt: 25. august 2013 21:50
Til: packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Emne: Re: [PacketFence-users] PFDNS crashing every few seconds HELP! [UPDATE]

Ok!

I believe this was caused by a malformed DNS query.  I have a few pcaps that
show the server working perfectly until a specific query comes in and then
pfdns crashes.

One of my users has a Blackberry Playbook tablet that is doing some officially
strange DNS stuff.

The tablet sends a query for: ng="utf-8".umhb.edu

The "umhb.edu" bit is being appended via my DHCP scope applying the search
domain so we know where that is coming from.  But why the tablet would be
looking for ng="utf-8" I do not know.

However it looks to be 100% repeatable to cause the daemon to crash when it
sees this query.

For now I have blocked access to the network for the offending client and the
daemon is up and stable.

I tried to reproduce this in my testbed and could not get pfdns to crash, but
this could be caused by the test I am running not wanting to send malformed
queries to begin with.  Dig, nslookup, even dnsperf could not replicate the
behavior, but the instant this query comes in from this client, pfdns stops.

Are there any other tools I should try?  Could someone verify this?

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
System Engineer
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor