OK, after analysing some radius debug logs it looks like packetfence is being
called from the post-auth section of the sites-enabled/packetfence server:
post-auth {
         exec
         if (!EAP-Type || (EAP-Type != 21 && EAP-Type != 25)|| (User-Name =~
/^.*\@.+/ && User-Name !~ /^.*\@cardiffmet.ac.uk/)|| (User-Name =~ /^.*\@.+/ &&
User-Name !~ /^.*\@uwic.ac.uk/)) {
                packetfence
         }

        Post-Auth-Type REJECT {
                 attr_filter.access_reject
         }
}

I put this in, so that the visiting users (users from other organisations at
our university) would have their devices automatically registered in
packetfence. If I comment out the above section our users at remote
institutions now authenticate, but visiting users don't show up in the
packetfence.

Looks like I need to tweak the above code somehow.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Andi