On Mar 16, 2015, at 11:20 , Jeremy Plumley <jmplum...@gtcc.edu> wrote:

> I just replied to my original e-mail what I thought was going on. Use to
> seeing leases disappear and get reused instantly in Windows DHCP server so I
> never see pool get near the end in most cases. Checked on my packetfence box
> the other day and was near the end of the pool thinking leases was not
> expiring.  Am I correct that it uses them all then checks back with lease
> file to see which bindings are in free state? Thanks.

Hi Jeremy,
You cannot rely on the last assigned IP to get a sense of the number of IPs
assigned.

Here’s what the manual says:

[dhcpd.conf]
The DHCP server generates the list of available IP addresses from a hash table.
  This means that
the addresses are not sorted in any particular order, and so it is not possible
 to  predict  the
order  in  which  the DHCP server will allocate IP addresses.   Users of
previous versions of the
ISC DHCP server may have become accustomed to the DHCP server allocating IP
addresses in  ascend-
ing  order,  but  this is no longer possible, and there is no way to configure
this behavior with
version 3 of the ISC DHCP server.

And also

[dhcpd.leases]
The lease file is a log-structured file - whenever a lease changes, the
contents  of  that  lease
are  written  to the end of the file.   This means that it is entirely possible
and quite reason-
able for there to be two or more declarations of the same lease in the lease
file  at  the  same
time.    In that case, the instance of that particular lease that appears last
in the file is the
one that is in effect.

So the real state of the leases is in memory, with the file as a backing
storage in case of crash.

Regards,
--
Louis Munro