On May 6, 2015, at 6:53 , Andy A <andthereitg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Louis.
>
> Can I email you privately regarding some of the suggestions you've made about
> heartbeat and using rsync?

Hi Andy,
Please don’t.
While I am happy to contribute my knowledge to the community on this mailing
list, that would be crossing a line.

Inverse would be more than happy to provide consulting services about that.
I just can’t do that without billing you.

In general though, building an active/passive setup consists of the following:

Replicate the database, either with built-in mysql replication or DRBD.
I like DRBD for it’s simplicity but it’s not mandatory, as long as you have
some replication.

Then setup heartbeat or pacemaker to start and stop services when either node
goes down.
Pacemaker can also add and remove IPs from interfaces, which would allow you to
have shared IPs between the servers.

Finally setup rsync to replicate the /usr/local/pf files, excluding logs and
var/ directory.

Both DRBD and corosync/pacemaker are well documented.
See here http://drbd.linbit.com/ and here: http://clusterlabs.org/doc/
That should get you most of the way.

Regards,
--