Something I observed while trying to solve this:

When I remove my last catch-all rule, I cannot register using email
anymore at all. :-(

So, even though I have defined three different roles (based on email
address) and I register using an address that should trigger one of
those specific rules, the system always uses only the last catch-all role.

The rules just don't get triggered, except the last catch-all. :-(