Hey Kai,

I tried to integrate the Web Auth configuration into a configuration already using MAC bypass and 802.1x and failed.

While looking into possible reasons I came up with the thought what the advantage of Web Auth would be to my setup? I didn't find an answer.

I'm writing this, because I'd like to get better insight into the concept of portals - not because I thing I really understood the complete context. But maybe one of the thoughts might be helpfull.

The disadvantages I found for Web Auth based on switch configuration are:

* vendor dependend - different vendors, different configurations
* higher complexity - to make it work a switch configuration is needed beside the packetfence configuration

As I wrote above, I couldn't see the advantages.

I ended up doing the following:

* MAC bypass to get devices into the registration VLAN.
* Using the registration VLAN with a packetfence portal
  * packtefence provides DHCP and DNS
  * packetfence redirects reliably the client to its portal
* bonus: a good time to do any scannning to maybe divert the device into isolation
* when registered successfully the device moves on to the guest vlan

At any time during the above the device is able to initiate a 802.1x authentication to register into some other vlan like the company internal vlan.

I've got the feeling I overlooked some advantages for the Web Auth configured on the switch. Otherwise the use of Web Auth would be obsolete in the context of a Packetfence setup (at least with an external portal).

Chris