Mark,
You are correct about RSSO roles/groups working on Fortigate.  We have that
part working but I needed more granular controls for a select user and
tried to setup a policy for just that.   One work around you mention would
be making groups for individual users, I just worked around it by setting a
dhcp reservation on that particular device and setting my policy for that
IP.
Aaron