Did you try with pacman-git? This should be fixed, see FS#12059.

Haha, of course not. I probably should have dug a bit first, whoops. I
just built pacman-git on that box and it seems to have done what I
expected now, so thanks for letting me know I don't even know what
we've done in 3.3.

It is good that you bring this up, because that part of pacman is still ugly. And now I realized that the bug is not completely fixed. Why? Pacman calls alpm_grp_get_pkgs(), then the _names_ of the packages in the groups are added to the target list (-S pkg1 pkg2...). This is not perfect, because it is not guaranteed that we indeed add the expected package: 1. First of all, we should use repo/pkg1 to be sure that pacman won't add an other package named pkg1. 2. Alpm handles provisions. If we have a gcc provider in sync repos, pacman will select that package and will not return with PM_ERR_PKG_IGNORED. We can change this behavior but then probably we have to reimplement _alpm_resolvedep() in sync_addtarget. (Maybe that would be nicer, because we have an ugly prompt param already.)

Personally I vote for cleaning up this part:
Either introduce trans_addtarget_pmpkg(pmpkg_t *pkg) function to easily add group packages or move "-S group" handling to the back-end. But then we should also do that for -R and probably we want to add flags to enable/disable provision/group handling with trans_addtarget. Too much work :-( Alternatively, we can disable provision handling in sync_addtarget, then it should be also moved to front-end (we need more public functions) or introduce trans_addtarget_provision().

On a side note, I *really* need to make time for 3.3 release planning
and the actual release. Hopefully everyone on the list will be ready
for the barrage of activity needed to get this thing out the door, so
start formulating any thoughts for last minute things that we need to
fix or do.

See above. ;-) I have one more TODO: resolvedeps.

Bye