On 03/02/10 03:02, Thomas Bächler wrote:
Am 27.01.2010 00:24, schrieb Allan McRae:
- would anyone want to strip everything regardless of their
permissions (and running strip as root for that reason) ?

I have no idea why libraries/binaries are installed without 644/755
permissions anyway.  Configuration files I understand...  That said, the
do get installed that way and so this needs dealt with.

I have seen cases where applications require certain helper applications
or plugins to be 555 or 500, so not writable by anyone (for security
reasons, but I don't remember exactly where I saw this).

Instead of not stripping them at all, wouldn't it be desirable to make
them writable, strip them and remove the writable permissions again?

Sure, consider that a stage 2. For this stage I just want to avoid the error trap that should (untested) be set off in these cases.

Allan