On 05/02/10 01:38, Thomas Bächler wrote:
Am 04.02.2010 15:32, schrieb Allan McRae:
3) I would like the sodeps to be listed like (e.g) "libreadline.so".
This makes the dependency named closer to what is actually is.  Makepkg
could recognize the ".so" at the end and use readelf on the binaries and
automatically add the relevant version.  The "soname-arch" type prefix
is ugly.  "soname" is covered by the ".so" and multi-lib stuff is not
really as critical so "arch" is not really needed either.

I disagree in the "arch" part. It might not be as important now, but in
the future it could cause problems if we end up havnig multiple
architecture libraries in one system (and ultimately I want to make that
possible, if I ever get to it). If we could agree on this scheme:

soprovides=(libreadline.so)
would generate
provides=("${provid...@]}" libreadline.so-x86_64=6)

Then the "weak -d" flag could ignore the =6 version above and we still
have everything we would need for matching so-names.

OK. I will concede the need for the arch part then. But it needs some changing. As I said before, I would prefer soprovides detected by ending in ".so" in the provides array and I do not really like entries in the provides array automatically changing apart from versioning. So...

provides=(foobar libfoo.so)

would result in

provides = foobar
provides = libfoo.so=6-x86_64   (does that order look right...?)

in the .PKGINFO file.

I am fairly sure that pacman can handle two packages providing different versions of libfoo.so but that needs checked.

A patch that did this would be very acceptable to me.

Allan