On 26/02/10 08:57, Cedric Staniewski wrote:
On 25.02.2010 23:44, Allan McRae wrote:
On 26/02/10 08:23, Cedric Staniewski wrote:
The location of the used utilities may and does differ between various
distributions and therefore absolute paths do not work well. Since the
main purpose of its introduction was to avoid side-effects caused by
aliases, it is sufficient to disable possible aliases temporarily by
preceding the commands with a backslash.

That seems fine to me.  Just one check.  How long has that syntax been
available (i.e. is it a bash4ism)?

Allan

Just tested it on GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release and it works. So I
guess it's safe to use.

Well, I am happy using this then. The lack of documentation for this feature may be a slight concern, but given it has been supported by bash for a long time, I think we can rely on it.

Allan