On 30/10/10 23:40, Xavier Chantry wrote:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Nagy Gabor<ng...@bibl.u-szeged.hu>  wrote:

Wouldn't this cause a notable slow-down?

I thought the issue was rather that the local db entries would be
synced when the actual package files are probably not synced.
But if we sync everything, then it's very likely to become very slow.

This is to fix issues like:
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-bin-2010.1-4/depends: No such file or directory

Missing package files can be detected using -Qk and fixed by reinstall so I find it reasonable to just sync the local db entries. Also, doing just that should not slow down the sync operation too much.

I seem to remember that Dan sent a fdatasync patch a while ago, I
don't remember if it affected only the db or both db and files.

Also let's not forget this :
        Calling fsync() does not necessarily ensure that the entry in
the directory
        containing the file has also reached disk.  For that an
explicit fsync() on a
        file descriptor for the directory is also needed.

That would probably be better. I only did the files because the file descriptor for those was handy...

Allan