Socket-based on the INetLib?  Not possible, given the
current state of the API.

If you want to target for a VII, the easiest way to
make it work is to rework your server (the system you
are talking to) as a Web-based application (running on
top of HTTP).  This makes it so that you can
communicate with the INetLib function calls and also
makes it proxy-able by Palm.Net (or Omnisky or
whoever-else-may-get-into-this-market-in-the-future).
You have to realize that now all your communications
is somewhat synchronous (you have to pull down all the
data, there is no asynchronous flow between the Palm
and the server).  This is a major change for a lot of
applications (believe me, I took an Instant Messaging
application that I wrote for TCP and reworked it to
use INetLib - it's slower, but at least one colleague
who's from Germany said that it's faster than a GSM
small message service transmission, so I guess I got
something right...)

A really great guide for the Palm side are the slides
from Scot Stennis's talk at the last PalmSource (the
talk on the Palm VII SDK).  Also, Palm now makes a
sample application available for you to learn/use.

(And, like somebody else said in another post, you
should consider wrapping all this up in a library that
abstracts away the communications calls.  I did this
and am very happy, now I have a reusable
communications module that can operate over RS-232,
TCP, and INetLib - gives me a lot of options for
future development...).

Good luck!