Was this the article discussing linear feedback shift
registers (LSFRs)?  If so, I can attest to the simplicity
and low overhead of the algorithm.  I used it in password
protection scheme for a non-Palm project a while ago and
have great success.  The trick is protecting the keys used
to initialize the random bitstream.

-- Paul
Paul A. Dugas, Computer Engineer     Dugas Enterprises, LLC
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              1711 Indian Ridge Drive
tel:404-932-1355                   Woodstock, GA 30189-6856
fax:770-516-4841                    http://pauld.dugas.com/