From: Jim Schram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Palm Developer Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Palm Developer Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, May 15, 2000 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: Serializing access to data from an alarm procedure

>At 9:14 AM -0400 2000/05/15, Patrick wrote:
>>If a shared library uses AlmSetProcAlarm to set an alarm with a ref
>>parameter pointing to some data used by a shared library, how can the
alarm
>>code, when triggered, ensure that the ref data is not being read or
written
>>by other shared library code running on another application's thread?
>
>Procedural alarms are triggered from within an app's call to
SysHandleEvent. They are not distributed from within the actual real time
clock interrupt or during a task switch. So in essence, they are like any
other event-loop event.

>>Maybe the question is more general. Since a shared library can be
>>multi-threaded, how can it perform serialization of access to data shared
>>amongst the threads?
>
>This may be just a terminology issue, but Palm OS threads are very
different beasts than procedural alarms, and therefore have very different
behaviors and usage rules. They are also officially unsupported except for
use by/in licensees' custom ROM builds.