I had tried to get in touch with him in the past also.  I found a
problem with the program that conflicted with other programs.  I wanted
to inform him of it.

My philosophy is that a hack must be relentless in not causing
incompatibilities with other programs.  If a program does not work
because of a hack, it's the hacker's problem.  Does that seem right?