At 12:00am -0700 00-06-15, Palm Developer Forum digest wrote:
>Subject: How to reduce illegal characters in a text field
>From: Richard Bram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:34:26 -0500
>
>Are there any ASCII values that are illegal to insert into a text field
>on the device (other than zero, of course)? I remember on the old
>Macintosh simulator, you would get a crash if you put something like
>a 0x07 or other low number into a field, but I can't remember if any
>low numbers will crash the device?

You'll get weird drawing results with invalid characters in the
field, but I don't think it will cause a crash. You want to avoid
calling FldInsert with characters that have code points less than
0x20, other than tab or linefeed.

The set of characters that can safely be passed to FldHandleEvent are:

chrTab, chrBackspace, chrLineFeed, chrLeftArrow, chrRightArrow,
chrDownArrow, chrUpArrow, and TxtCharIsPrint(theCharacter) == true.

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
TransPac Software, Inc.
<http://www.transpac.com>