Then learn the Motorola 68K assembly.  There is an assembler out there,
and there are a few reference materials here and there (check out
Motorola/Palm for those).  If you're doing something odd with the
cabling or hardware, I'd advise getting in touch with Palm first. You
can also get subsets of the Palm OS source code, and I'd imagine that
would come in really handy (I applied about 2 months ago, and I've had
no such luck yet, though...you might have to wait awhile).  You also
could try doing some inline assembly or something here and there, or
call some assembler functions that write data out to the port.

-Rus