I'm thinking he needs to do something funky with the RTS/DTS
stuff.  He might be doing some custom cabling or reworking the
port.  In that case, he'd better get his hands on the Modem Casing
and Serial Casing support from Palm.  That's the only real reason,
besides just being able to say "We have our 'special' serial
commands" (in that case, you'd be TRYING to be incompatible with
everyone else in order to possibly block out your competition).
If he IS messing with those things, I think he might have better
luck developing a 68K solution.  I've got limited experience with
68K, but fairly good experience with Intel X86 assembly, and I'd
guess that you'd be able to control the hardware serial port far
better with low level assembler commands.  I wouldn't ADVISE it
to anyone who's new to Palm programming, though, as this fellow
appears to be, but I'm just informing him of an option.

I've used the API (both the old and new serial manager) and I've
had pretty good luck with it...it's a very ample resource.

-Rus