>> The whole point of this particular exercise was to know when to call the
>> HsGetVersionString API to get the Treo's ROM serial number, because some
>> Treo designer somewhere sometime decided that it would be too easy for
>> developers just to keep it available via the standard SysGetROMToken
>> API...
> I'm interested in the same thing.  I see HsExt.h says:
>
> /**
> * This is the Handspring feature id. Apps can tell if they're on
> * a handspring device if they get 0 err back from:
> * err = FtrGet (hsFtrCreator, hsFtrIDVersion, &value)
> **/
> #define hsFtrCreator                             'hsEx'
>

> Would this work?  If no error is returned, you can check the value to
> determine revision number.  I just guessing here, but if the major
> byte (high order byte in value) is 5 or greater, would that mean the
> HsGetVersionString trap is available?  If that is not sufficient,
> maybe examining more bits of the version value would provide a
> minimum value where HsGetVersionString is made available.
>
> mike

Hi Mike,

Good find!  I think that should do the trick alright.

And, the Treo 755P has been announced now, so we should have the device ID
info for that one soon anyway.

Also, I just noticed this article in the Palm Developer Network while
hunting for the 755P simulator: "Detecting Treo Smartphones
Programmatically" which is article ID 980.  To save you the trouble, here's
what it says:

Q: Is there a way to programmatically determine if a device is a Treo
smartphone without having to know the specific device IDs?

A: No, there is no API to support that feature. To detect indirectly if the
device is a Treo smartphone, check if the Phone Library is available in the
device, as all Treo smartphones include this library.

I think your suggestion of looking for the HS feature, or my solution of
looking for the HsExtensions database are basically equivalent to the PDN
suggestion, with the feature check being the easiest.

Regards,

--
David Thacker
http://www.SatelliteForms.net