On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Nesse, Rustin wrote:
[..]
> The confusion, I think, arises from the capability of computers and some
> other electronic devices to have software executable "ROM" updates.  People
> begin to get these confused with the capability to update Flash memory, and
> thus, it becomes Flash ROM to us.  Then someone comes along talking about
> Flash RAM, and bingo, in the back of your mind you start calling both the
> RAM and ROM Flash.
> -Rus

In those cases, the companies referring to "software executable ROM
updates" are really updating Flash RAM (or possibly an EEPROM?).  They
just call it ROM so people don't confuse it with real useable RAM on a
machine.

AFAIK-
In the case of Palm system patches however, the patches live in RAM, and
override the syscall (trap).  This is how they can update ROM based Palms
with system patches (or, in reality, provide the illusion that ROM has
been updated).

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge