I have been using a variant of the Reg Code scheme to generate keys for
registration.  I have only recently come up against a problem.  For some
reason the keys are not working on the Japanese version of the OS.  I
know there is a difference in the character size for US and Japanese
versions but I don't understand why, after a year, this is now a
problem.

My scheme basically just does some arithmetic operations and shifting
and logic operations on characters of type char.  What specific changes
should I make so that such code works with Japanese characters also?

Thanks