<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Those two bytes are the result of a fairly benign bug (somebody used
"sizeof"
> when they meant to use "offsetof", and some pointer math was off by 2 as a
> result of that).

My parser failed because it sequentially reads through the pdb file instead
of seek()ing to the record data offsets.  I wanted to know the legality of
the bytes since I'm aiming to get a binary exact read/write cycle, format
bugs and all.

> For the most part, it doesn't matter if those 2 bytes are there or not. A
> properly written prc/pdb file parser should be completely oblivious to
their
> existance.  However, when you beam an application, the wireline format of
the
> application is the same as that in the .prc file, and the Exchange Manager
fully
> expects those two bytes to be there, and fails if they aren't.

So, either the bug isn't so "benign" or the Exchange Manager isn't a
"properly written" parser?! ;)

Thanks for the info.