Check out the Perl module PDA::Pilot that comes with pilot-link. Off the
top of my head (i.e., this probably won't work, but it might come
close):

 use PDA::Pilot;

 package MyAppinfo;

 @ISA=qw(PDA::Pilot::AppBlock);

 sub Pack {
    return pack($appinfo_template, @appinfo_data);
 }

 package MyRecord;

 @ISA=qw(PDA::Pilot::Record);

 sub Pack {
    $self = shift;
    return pack($record_template, @record_data);
 }

 package main;

 $pdb = PDA::Pilot::File::create("myfile.pdb"
                                 creator => 'CrId',
                                 type => 'type',
                                 name => 'palm-db-name');

 $appinfo = new MyAppinfo;
 $pdb->setAppBlock($appinfo);

 $rec = new MyRecord;
 $pdb->addRecord($rec);

The PDA::Pilot docs suck, but then that's what the source is for :-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Rubin) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am baffled!  I have just searched usenet to find out how to create
> databases for palm applications and I have turned up nothing.  I did
> find one reference to an unnamed tool by Ken Shirriff, but further
> searches have turned up nothing.  I want to create an application that
> uses static data so I want to create a .pdb file that would be installed
> with the .prc file.  How do you create something like a database of all
> periodic elements that would be used in a periodic table application in
> a development evironment?  I am using GCC/prc-tools on a Solaris system
> to build the application.   I wouldn't want to check to see if the
> database is there and if not build it using static data within my
> application would I?  That seems like a waste of precious palm memory to
> me.
>
> I am hoping there is a development tool out there (something like pilrc)
> to help create a palm database?  If anyone knows of something please
> fill me in...
>
> Thanks
> - Dan
>
> --
> Daniel Rubin, (614) 457-5919                      - Web Site Hosting

> President, Newcoast Communications, Inc.          - Email Services
>                                                   - Intranet Design
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.newcoast.com            and Integration

Dave Carrigan ([EMAIL PROTECTED])            | Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR makes
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | LONI ANDERSON'S HAIR look like
Seattle, WA, USA                            | RICARDO MONTALBAN'S HAIR!
http://www.rudedog.org/                     |