The sysNotifyNetLibIFMediaEvent is broadcast (deferred) from NetStack
after processing the LibIFDown command that it receives asynchronously
on a message queue. I suspect what is happening is that powering off
the radio also does a close immediate, which does a close of the
library, which aborts all sockets, shuts down the interfaces (each
sending a LibIFDown message to NetStack), flushes the message queue
(there goes the LibIFDown messages), deletes the message queue and
effectively uninstalls the network stack, which has all happened
before the NetStack gets to process any final LibIFDown messages, so
the last sysNotifyNetLibIFMediaEvent notifications aren't sent.

whew...

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Tam Hanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am writing this after testing my application on a Treo 680 smartphone. I
> have a network application which always stays connected and warns the user
> if the network dies - the warning event is triggered by netIFMediaDown
> notification.
>
> However, when having a network connection and then turning off the radio,
> the notification is not broadcast even minutes after the turnoff even though
> the network prefs panel shows that the link is down. All that I found on
> Palm-dev-Forum was the post below which advocated polling a NetLib call:
> http://news.palmos.com/read/messages?id=70565#70565
>
> I would now like to ask if I am correct in understanding that the
> netIFMediaDown notification is NOT broadcast in case of hardware issues like
> a radio turnoff? If yes, could anyone in the know explain me what this (IMHO
> utterly useless) notification is useful for then. Alternatively (if I am
> wrong), please let me know why the app doesn't work...
>
> All the best
> Tam Hanna
>
> P.S. In case anyone wonders - I registered for sysNotifyNetLibIFMediaEvent,
> not for netIFMediaDown ;).

[Jeff Loucks, Gig Harbor, WA, USA]