there are many possibilities, but probably most simple approach is  to use 1
second timeout with EvtGetEvent and then on every received event including
nilEvent you can chack if second changed since last time and if yes update
counter. it may be unprecise because processing of some events can take more
then seconds, but in general it should work

you may also try to use alarm (i read somewhere that it has problem with too
little values) or fixed loop with SysTaskDelay (but you probably want to do some
event processing so it may be not good idea)or high precision timer using
library available on modern devices (i never played with it)